My child, where you saw only one set of footprints, it is then that I carried you...
Our Wedding Day, August 23, 2003

Verse of the Day...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Translate Me! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~My Chatter Box~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Previous Footprints

Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Prayers for Rebekah

Footprints From My Past

Footprints of Friends
    Blogroll Me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who Links Here
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ChristianTop500.com



Blog Directory, Find A Blog, Submit A Blog, Search For The Best Blogs

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

Top100bloggers.com





Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

Women of The Word Webring


His Footprints, My Heart...

Friday, September 16, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia Explained...
Well, guys, I can vouch for all of this (born and raised here!)... well, with the exception of the fact that we don't leave our doors unlocked. Ever. EVER. However, all of the rest is true... I grew up in Cobb county and I've given directions based on "The Big Chicken" many times and, I'm a little scared to admit that I've said "jeetyet", mostly because I was too lazy to enunciate all the words... that's what I tell myself anyways... lol!
Well, enjoy your glimpse into what it's like living in Georgia!

This is for anyone who lives in Atlanta, who has ever lived in Atlanta, has visited Atlanta, ever plans to visit Atlanta, knows anyone who lives in Atlanta, knows anyone who has ever visited Atlanta or anyone who has ever heard of Atlanta, Georgia.

Atlanta is composed mostly of one way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina.

All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree" and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House." Except that in Cobb County, all directions begin with, "Go to the Big Chicken and...".

Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Road, Peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Run, Peachtree Trace, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Commons, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Corners, New Peachtree, Old Peachtree, West Peachtree, Peachtree-Dunwoody, Peachtree-Chamblee, or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard. Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home. If you ask anyone for directions they will always send you down Peachtree.

Gate One at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse, so wear sneakers and pack a lunch.

It's impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect, so that out-of-towners don't feel lost...they're just on a scenic drive.

The 8:00 AM rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30 AM. The 5:00 PM rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30 PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon, and lasts through 2:00 AM Saturday.

"Sir" and "Ma'am" are used by the person speaking to you if there's a remote possibility that you're at least 30 minutes older than they are.

A native can only pronounce Ponce De Leon Avenue one way, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. The Atlanta pronunciation is "pahnss duh LEE-on".

The fall of a raindrop makes everyone forget all traffic rules.

If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days, and it's on all the TV channels and radio stations as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month. All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer. If there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" T-shirts, not to mention the fact that all schools will close at the slightest possible chance of snow.

The pollen count is off the national scale for unhealthy, which starts at 120. Atlanta is usually in the 2,000 to 4,000 range. All roads, vehicles, houses - everything - is yellow from March 28th to July 15th. If you have any allergies, you will die. But other than that, it's a great place to live!

There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Georgia.

There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Georgia, plus a couple no one's ever seen before.

Onced and Twiced are actual words.

It is not a shopping cart, it's a buggy.

There ain't no such thing as lunch. There's only dinner - and, then, there is supper. 'Jeetyet?' is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat yet?"

You install security lights on your house and garage and then leave both unlocked.

The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but need 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

You know whether another Georgian is from north Georgia, south Georgia or middle Georgia as soon as they open their mouth (Albany = All benny)

Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite past time known as "goin wal-martin or off to Wally World.

Sweet Tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're 2.

So, now you know a bit about this Georgia native ;) How 'bout you? Jeetyet?
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I am amazed by the different amount of snakes, bugs and "languages" Georgia has... learn somethin' new ever'day! Too Cute of a post!! :) Love it!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

"If you have any allergies, you will die." So true of the South! I'm so glad I didn't encounter any of thsoe one-ways the one time I drove in Atlanta proper. I might have driven around and around for hours and never have gotten to see my nephew!

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger jomo said...

That's "My South." This post is so cool. My wife and I got married in Macon. How far is it from Atlanta? Here in E. Tennessee, the Braves are the team they watch cause we ain't got nary a one. I've been through Atlanta, and it has a certain special quality. I saw a guy at work today wearing a t-shirt that said "Jeet Yet?"
Thanks for the post.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Cindy, this cracked me up. A friend of mine was just in ALT, catching a flight out to ILL, she and her hubby were hotter than hot when they finally figured out to get where they needed to be! They live in Alabama. I am going to send her your post, she will totally agree. And BTW...this Pacific Northwesterner can honestly say...been there, done that and will stick with my UNsweet tea. But I did buy the Tshirt!
Blessings!!!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Thanks for the memories!

My mother is from Macon and my daddy was from Alana (Atlanta - for those who aren't).

I was born in Miami but went to Warner Robins Senior High School in (where else) Warner Robins.

You were right on!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

And you have cool accents! Sounds like a wonderful place.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger JOE B said...

I live on the south side of Atlanta, and you forgot two things.
You forgot just plain "Peachtree." And you forgot about almost all elderly people drive in the fast lane. lol
Joe

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i learned a lot. thanks. c",)

jeetyet? yeah!


http://myblog2002.blogspot.com

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger YellowRose said...

Love this post!! Having recently moved to the Atlanta area, I have to say I couldn't agree more! :)

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Karen A. Castevens said...

Cindy...being from Mayberry (Mount Airy), I can say I understand. I remember when I first tried to spell Mount Airy...Mount Errie. I was in the 3rd grade. I love being from North Carolina...was born and raised here for 43 years. I live in Andy Griffith's home town. I enjoyed your post. Keep it up!!!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Lightseeker said...

Boy you sure can tell Tennessee is connected to Georgia! Because I fully understood your post! LOL! I guess after living 14 years in Tennessee I have learned the native tongue! I loved this post, Cindy-Lou~

God Bless~

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

fun post - oh btw, do you know where John M kenney is off too?
his blog disappeared, and I dont see him online

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Thank you for the education.

Much appreciated.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Missing your posts girl...

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Oh, this is funny!! My hubby used to live in Atlanta, and we're planning on going there in a year or two. :)

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Girl, you know it's true! I live in Atlanta and life here is exactly as you describe! LOL...I really should move.

Hugs from a land of oo many Peachtrees ~
Vicki

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

that's "too many Peachtrees" I meant to type....lol...

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I'm missing you on the blog, and I hope that you do a come-back tour soon.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

if you have a new blog drop by and let me know where you are - if not come post an update here for your fans

 
Click Here To Help Little Rebekah

Leave your footprint...
Post a Comment